Research topic and job description:
Clinically relevant biochemical, immunological and cellular biomarkers of Alzheimer’s disease and aging
To the research group of Dr. Zdeněk Spáčil we are searching for a talented and highly motivated scientist with knowledge and technical skills in mass spectrometry, cell culture, and molecular biology. The candidate will apply mass spectrometry technology to analyze materials from cell culture and clinical samples. The primary responsibilities will include cerebral organoids‘ cell culture as a model system for Alzheimer’s disease and the application of mass spectrometry metabolomics and proteomics to study the underlying mechanisms and discover early disease biomarkers. The candidate will be involved in an intriguing multidisciplinary project combining advanced analytical technology with state-of-the-art cell biology to advance medicine. It provides a unique opportunity for a motivated candidate to transform the field of Alzheimer’s disease research.
The research group led by Dr. Zdenek Spáčil firstname.lastname@example.org is engaged in metabolomics and targeted proteomics and pioneering the exposome (i.e. non-genetic factors affecting human health).
- Ph.D. degree obtained within past 5 years in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, biology, or related field.
- Previous research experience and a solid track record of relevant publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals (i.e., WoS, SCOPUS)
- Knowledge and practical experience with bioanalytical mass spectrometry and liquid chromatography.
- An essential experience with statistical data processing
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities, to solve problems independently, resourcefulness, good science writing and oral communication skills, excellent documentation skills, and the ability to work both independently and as part of an international team
- Vibrant working environment and access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
- The dynamic group surrounded by an international team of experts
- The opportunities towards independent scientific career development
- Collaborative projects with international partners (e.g., ETH Zurich, University College London, Univ. of Vienna)
- To publish results in the most prestigious scientific journals
- Employee benefits: 6 weeks of leave per year, health insurance, pension insurance contribution, meal vouchers, discounted language courses, etc.
- Support with your relocation
- Brno provides a high quality of life; it is a university city with lots of cultures and very family-friendly https://brnoregion.com/work
We offer a one-year appointment with the possibility of an extension. This position is open as a substitute for maternity leave.
Applicants should provide the following information in English
- Summary of publications and research outputs
- A statement of research interests
- Names and contact details of at least 3 professional referees
- Ph.D. certification
The deadline for applications is on April 30, 2021. A review of applications will run as they are received and until the position is filled. The shortlisted applicants complying with the requirements will be interviewed in person or remotely.
The application shall be submitted online via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application in this link: https://www.muni.cz/o-univerzite/kariera-na-mu/volna-mista/61334). After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Contact: email@example.com, Barbora Chlubná.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with the EU Charter and Code for Researchers‘ principles. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided. The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
If we do not contact you within 30 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
RECETOX Centre of Masaryk University carries out interdisciplinary research and education in the area of Environment & Health with a specific focus on the assessment of toxic compounds, their behaviour, transport & bioaccumulation, their adverse effects, and related environmental and health risks, as well as new enabling technologies, biotechnologies, and IT tools for linking environmental stressors to population health and mitigating their impacts. https://www.recetox.muni.cz/en
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with nine faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of Masaryk University, generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Brno, the capital of the South Moravian Region, situated approximately halfway between Prague and Vienna, it is the largest university town in the Czech Republic and a modern metropolis with a long history and culture. Recognizing the university’s significant role in making Brno one of the most innovative cities in the CEE region, it continuously supports the South Moravian Region, the local scientific, start-up, and high-tech communities.