The Department of Astroparticle Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences invites applications for a postdoctoral position in high-energy astroparticle physics within the Pierre Auger collaboration.
About the Institute:
The Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences (FZU) is a public research institution, focusing on basic and applied research in physics. FZU is the largest of the institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences with more than 1300 employees, including a considerable number of international workers. The ambition of FZU is to push forward the boundaries of knowledge and to conduct first-rate research in the fields of elementary particles, condensed systems and solid particles, optics, plasma physics and laser physics.
About the department:
The Department is part of the Division of elementary particle physics and presently numbers about 25 physicists, students and support staff. It is involved in large international collaborations in astroparticle physics – Auger (in Argentina), CTA (Spain, Chile) and LSST (Chile).
The Pierre Auger Observatory (www.auger.org) is the largest detector ever built to study ultra high energy cosmic rays, covering 3000 km2 in the Mendoza province, Argentina. After more than 15 years of successful operation, a major upgrade of the Observatory is taking place. It will enhance the capabilities of the surface detector to determine the nature of these particles.
- The candidate should have experience in hardware, such as embedded systems, fast data acquisition or RF engineering.
- (S)he is also expected to make a contribution in the analysis of the data from the upgraded detector, AugerPrime.
- Experience with machine learning will be considered an advantage.
- Responsibility, reliability, and the ability to work in a team are essential assets.
- The position also implies shifts and visits to the Observatory.
- Contributions to teaching are not required.
- The candidate should be in the condition of international mobility and should have a maximum of 7 years of experience after her/his PhD at the starting date of the contract.
Why should you apply?
- Working in an international, creative and highly motivated environment
- Cutting-edge research topics with high application potential
- Working in a multidisciplinary research team
- A stimulating and friendly supervising and mentoring environment
- Unique research facilities
- Training and development possibilities (seminars, workshops, conferences)
- Soft skills trainings (project management, grant applications, etc.)
- Language courses
- The salary includes all social security benefits (information is available upon request).
- Flexible working hours
- and more benefits such as Multisport card, meal allowance, cooperate kindergarten, etc.
Terms of employment:
The appointment may start immediately and will be initially for one year, which may be extended to 2 years, based on satisfactory performance.
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a detailed CV, a letter of motivation and the names of 3 referees.
The position will remain open until suitable candidate is found. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply before July 15, 2021, when the application screening will take place.
Further information available at FZU career site.