RECETOX is the European Centre of Excellence in Environmental Health Science and a coordinator of EIRENE, new ESFRI infrastructure for human exposome research in Europe. Supported by the EU Horizon 2020 Teaming project (2020-2026) it develops ambitious research and education programmes in a close partnership with University College London and ETH Zurich. It studies toxic compounds and their behavior, transport & bioaccumulation to evaluate environmental effects, assess the exposure and health risks to humans, and develop technologies and biotechnologies to break them down. https://www.recetox.muni.cz/en
Research topic and job description
We are seeking talented post-doctoral fellow applications for positions focused on the measurement of small molecules via liquid chromatography (LC) and gas chromatography (GC) coupled to mass spectrometry (MS).
The successful candidate will have opportunity to support ongoing research projects, assist the establishment of infrastructure resources and the freedom to propose and develop own research interests towards understanding the influence of chemical exposures on health.
The group, led by Dr Elliott J Price, focus upon the population-scale profiling of exogenous and endogenous chemicals in human biospecimen.
The analytical suite includes high-resolution MS (LC-Orbitrap & GC-Orbitrap) and triple quadruple MS, with future expansion to extend capabilities for low-flow LC separations (i.e. micro, nano) and automated sample preparation.
The research benefits from close internal (e.g. RECETOX Biobank, Institute of Computer Science) and international collaborations, participating within e.g., the European Human Exposome Network (https://www.humanexposome.eu/) and the European Environmental Exposure Assessment Network Research Infrastructure (https://www.eirene-ri.eu/).
Inquiries about the position can be sent to Dr Elliott J Price, firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsibilities may include:
- Development of LC-MS and/or GC-MS methods and analytical workflows, including QA/QC procedures
- Biological sample preparation and analysis for the measurement of exposure and disease biomarkers
- Performing data analysis and interpretation in collaboration with bioinformatics, biostatistics and epidemiology groups
- Preparation of manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals
Candidate profile and experience
Candidate should have
- Ph.D. in metabolomics, proteomics, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, mass spectrometry, environmental chemistry, or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience with mass spectrometry hyphenated to LC and/or GC
- Extensive knowledge of sample preparation for chemical analysis of complex matrices
- Understanding of QA/QC requirements and best practice
- Bioinformatics skills or competence with data processing tools (e.g. MS-DIAL, MZmine 2, Skyline) is appreciated
Candidate should be
- An enthusiastic and ambitious scientist who can bring in new ideas
- A critical thinker that is team-oriented
- An effective communicator
- Vibrant working environment and access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Fully equipped modern laboratories
- Dynamic group surrounded by a team of international experts
- Involvement in national and international projects
- Employee benefits: 6 weeks of paid leave per year, health insurance, pension insurance contribution, meal vouchers, discounted language courses, etc.
- Support with your relocation – more information here: https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/international-staff-office-iso
- Brno provides a high quality of life (recommended as 2nd city in Europe worth visiting https://www.timeout.com/europe/things-to-do/best-city-breaks-in-europe); it is a university city with lots of cultures and very family-friendly https://brnoregion.com/work
Applicants should provide the following information in English:
- CV (European standard recommended) including summary of publications and research outputs
- Motivation letter describing candidate’s research interest and experience
- Names and contact details of at least 2 professional referees
- Ph.D. certification
The deadline for applications is on 01 March 2022, or until the position is filled. A review of applications will run continuously as they are received and until the position is filled. The short-listed applicants complying with the requirements will be invited for personal or Teams interviews.
The application shall be submitted online via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application section here: https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/vacancies/64537). After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Contact: email@example.com, Barbora Chlubná.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with the principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
RECETOX Centre operates the state-of-the-art Research Infrastructure of accredited laboratories, longitudinal environmental monitoring programmes and population cohorts, and information systems openly accessible to the international research community. It hosts multiple research teams in five interdisciplinary research programmes and two accredited study programmes (Environmental Health Sciences and Biostatistics and Bioinformatics at the bachelor, master, and doctoral levels). It employs over 300 people of 25 nationalities working on more than 65 ongoing projects and publishing 200 scientific publications per year. RECETOX attracts top EU grants and has an annual budget of nearly 10 million Euros.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of Masaryk University, generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Brno, the capital of the South Moravian Region, situated approximately halfway between Prague and Vienna, it is the largest university town in the Czech Republic and a modern metropolis with a long history and culture. Recognizing the university’s significant role in making Brno one of the most innovative cities in the CEE region, it continuously supports, together with the South Moravian Region, the local scientific, start-up, and high-tech communities.
Visit our Career page.