The ELI (Extreme Light Infrastructure) Project is an integral part of the European plan to build the next generation of large research facilities. ELI-Beamlines is a cutting edge laser facility currently being constructed in Dolní Břežany, next to Prague in the Czech Republic. ELI will deliver ultrashort, ultraintense laser pulses lasting typically a
few tens of femtoseconds at an unprecedented combination of intensity and repetition rate. It will make available a unique combination of time synchronized beams from the primary lasers and secondary sources for a wide range of interdisciplinary applications in physics, chemistry, medicine, biology and material science. At ELI Beamlines,
Research Program 4 (RP4) develops applications in Molecular, Bio-medical and Materials (MBM) Sciences. Specific research areas under development are time resolved X-ray diffraction and spectroscopy, atomic and molecular science, Coherent Diffractive Imaging, time resolved VUV magneto-optical ellipsometry and advanced
optical spectroscopy methods (femtosecond Stimulated Raman Scattering and 2D spectroscopy).
Two JUNIOR RESEARCHER positions – Time resolved X-ray science; ultrafast diffraction and spectroscopy
As part of our experimental capabilities ELI Beamlines RP4 develops instruments to probe structure and dynamics in crystalline and amorphous samples, including liquids, using time resolved X-ray scattering and diffraction as well as absorption and emission spectroscopy techniques. This research will be done using a laser driven, short pulse, Plasma X-ray Source that delivers femtosecond hard X-ray pulses at a repetition rate of 1 kHz. We are now looking for two junior researchers/postdocs with complementary profiles in X-ray diffraction and spectroscopy to strengthen our capabilities for time resolved experiments in these areas.
The experimental areas at ELI Beamlines are presently under development and suitable applicants must be intrigued by the opportunity to build the state-of-the-art instrument they will use in their research. Following completion the ELI Beamlines facility will also support user operations. This means that the ELI Beamlines scientific staff will work both with independent research as well as supporting members of an international user community who come to work at the scientific end stations.
The junior researchers/postdocs will work predominantly on the following topics:
- Participate in the development of the ELI beamlines scientific end stations for time resolved X-ray diffraction and spectroscopy.
- Take an active role in the X-ray diffraction and/or spectroscopy research at RP4, including the commissioning of the scientific end stations.
- Participate in relevant experimental and theoretical work in the labs of national and international collaborators as well as at suitable research facilities.
- User support at ELI Beamlines.
- Participate in the procurement of RP4 experimental equipment.
- Participate in the development of the general experimental capabilities of ELI beamlines RP4.
- PhD in Physics, material science, chemistry, structural biology or related field. Or equivalent capabilities.
- A few years of experience from X-ray diffraction and/or X-ray spectroscopy research, ideally using both continuous and pulsed X-ray sources.
- Experience from designing, building and implementing X-ray instrumentation, in particular X-ray optics, is an advantage.
- Experience from pulsed laser research is an advantage.
- Experience from using liquid jet sample delivery systems is an advantage.
- The working environment is international and a good knowledge of spoken and written is necessary.
- The opportunity to participate in this unique scientific project
- Career growth, professional education
- Competitive and motivating salary
- 5 weeks of holidays and other employee benefits
- Pleasant work environment
Applications, containing CV, cover letter, contacts of references, and any other material the candidate considers relevant, should be sent to Mrs. Jana Ženíšková, HR specialist (email@example.com, +420 – 601560322). Please include the following text in your cover letter, to allow us to process your personal details:
I agree that, according to the decree 101/2000 coll. (Czech Republic), my personal details sent to FZU AV CR, v.v.i., Na Slovance 2, 18221 Praha 8, Czech Republic can be used for the purpose of obtaining employment and management of database of employment candidates. This permission is given for the period of one year and can be
at any time withdrawn by giving a notice in writing.