We are looking for a full-time spatial data manager and programmer (2-years contract) to join the international team of Dr. Petr Keil (https://petrkeil.github.io) at the Dpt. of Spatial Sciences at the Faculty of Environmental Sciences, Czech University of Life Sciences in Prague, Czech Republic, funded by ERC project BEAST (“Biodiversity dynamics across a continuum of space, time, and their scales”). We investigate what has been happening with biodiversity during the last decades, particularly in Europe, but also in other parts of the world. We do this by analyzing temporal trends in large biodiversity databases, focusing on birds, insects, or plants. For more info about our research, visit our website.
Job description: The candidate will manage biodiversity and environmental data, prepare the data for our team, and will do various GIS-related tasks. The work will consist of writing and running custom-made scripts and functions in R, Python, or related environments, working with databases of various formats ranging from simple .csv files to MS Access or PostgreSQL, assistance with design of new databases, and streamlining data input. Examples of already existing types of data that we use are GBIF, eBird, IUCN red list data, or US breeding bird survey (BBS). We also work with large-scale environmental and climatic data; examples are Chelsa, WorldClim, or NASA MODIS-derived layers.
- Master degree or PhD in natural sciences, computer science, or technical fields. Alternatively, a relevant expertise from private or non-profit sector will qualify.
- Good command of at least one environment such as R, Python, Julia, or similar.
- Experience with geographic data and GIS.
- Good English (we are an international team).
Can be advantageous
- Experience with databases (MS Access, SQL) and their management.
- Knowledge of another major language, as we aim at broadening the geographic scope of our data.
- Experience with FOSS and Linux/Unix.
We aim at increasing the diversity of our team, and welcome applicants of all genders, cultures, backgrounds, ages, or countries. We believe that a diverse team will broaden perspective and enhance creativity.
- Starting gross salary of 54,000 CZK/month (ca 2,200 EUR as of Sep 2022), which is ca 42,500 CZK/month net, but the latter varies depending on family situation and other circumstances. Median salary in the Czech Republic in the first quarter of 2022 was 31,923 CZK/month gross. Living costs (childcare, transportation) are generally lower than in Western Europe. For costs of accommodation see https://www.sreality.cz/en.
- Full medical insurance and social security as a standard part of the employment contract.
- 25 days of paid holiday per year.
- Daycare on the University Campus for children of employees (≥ 2 years old).
- Funds for additional training.
- State of the art scientific and computing equipment, software, access to journals and scientific databases.
- Subsidized lunches at the university canteen (Menza).
- International working environment (the working language is English), green spacious campus in Suchdol in the outskirts of Prague, 30 min to Prague city center by public transportation or bike, 15 min walk to several natural protected areas. The campus has various sports facilities, including a swimming pool, gym, athletic track, and indoor and outdoor playfields. The university also offers cheap holiday accommodation in mountains outside of Prague. Prague is one of the safest cities in the world with excellent public transportation, international accessibility, and healthcare.
- Starting date: 1st January 2023, later dates are negotiable.
To apply, please send by email (email@example.com), in a single .pdf of less than 10 MB:
- A brief motivation letter (1-2 pages) summarizing your expertise, experience, and stating why do you see yourself as a good fit.
- Your CV that should also mention any relevant outputs/products, for example your code repositories, reports, software, publications, your personal website, etc.
Review of applications will begin on 20th of October 2022, and will continue until the position is filled.