The PALS Research Centre – “Prague Asterix Laser System” – is a joint laboratory established by the Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences (FZU) and by the Institute of Plasma Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences (IPP). The key instrument of PALS is the high-power iodine laser system Asterix IV. It is capable of delivering up to 1 kJ of energy at the fundamental wavelength 1.315 µm, at a pulse of about 350 ps, the laser produces power of 3 TW. The main iodine system is effectively complemented by the Ti:Sa femtosecond laboratory. The PALS Research Centre workforce consists of about 40 researchers and technicians from both FZU and IPP. The PALS Research Centre is a constituent member of the network of European laser laboratories and a founding member of the virtual integrated European laser infrastructure – the LASERLAB-EUROPE Consortium.
We are currently opening a scientific and managerial job position (based in Prague, Czech Republic) for the Scientific director of the PALS Research Centre. The position will be available starting on January 1st, 2023, or later, as soon as the hiring process will be concluded.
The successful candidate (m/f) will be responsible to:
What you will do
- Coordinate the research program of the centre, ensure the high-quality of research
- Represent the centre both to professional and lay public
- Prepare the research concept and scientific goals of the centre, prepare proposals for the strategic development of the centre
- Coordinate the effective usage of the centre capacities and access of third parties to the centre
- Ensure the effective selection and coordinate the solution of research projects
- Prepare the annual plan of experimental activities
- Coordinate and lead the meetings of the Council of the centre
- Coordinate the meetings of the International Advisory Board of the centre
The applicants should have a Ph.D. degree in physics of plasmas, in laser physics or in related specializations and should demonstrate:
- Extensive research experience (at least 7 years) in physics of plasmas or laser physics or in related specializations
- Outstanding research record during the last 5 years (publications, patents, citations, etc.)
- Excellent leadership and communication skills (proven record of managing a research team)
- Advanced administrative and organisational acumen
- Good command of English, knowledge of Czech language is an added value
The position of the scientific director of PALS Research Centre is not a full-time position and might be combined with the existing position of a researcher at the research institute or with the position of a professor at a university. Alternatively, we can offer an additional position of a senior researcher at FZU or IPP (based on the choice of the candidate), which will complement the position of the scientific director of PALS Research Centre to 1.0 FTE.
The applicants should provide in their application:
- A cover letter addressing individually all the aforementioned criteria
- Two recommendation letters from researchers, who may be contacted as references, familiar with the applicant’s career
- A curriculum vitae including 5 most relevant scientific results (publications, patents, etc.)
Information on the selection process can be found here. The successful candidate will be offered a salary based on their qualification and will receive a FZU benefit package. FZU is an equal opportunity employer that strongly supports and encourages diversity.
Applications with a CV, cover letter, reference letters, and contacts of references, should be submitted in English by December 2nd, 2022 to Simona Dačeva (email@example.com). Reference letters might be sent to Simona Dačeva directly by recommending researchers.
Information regarding the personal data processing and access to the personal data at the Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences: Personal data processing