RECETOX focuses on interdisciplinary research and education in the area of Environment & Health, studying toxic compounds and their behavior, transport & bioaccumulation to evaluate environmental effects, assess the exposure and health risks to humans, and develop technologies and biotechnologies to break them down. https://www.recetox.muni.cz/en
We are looking for an experienced SW developer with solid technological background and the ability to design algorithms and advanced computational solutions implementing mathematical and statistical methods.
We have the ambition to develop and provide mass spectrometry analytical pipelines, tools and workflows. The overarching goal is to identify chemical compounds and anthropogenic substances in human tissues and other materials. This approach combines state of the art (full-scan) mass spectrometry chemical analytical instruments with high performance and cloud computing and big data analysis.
This position offers flexibility, a high level of interdisciplinarity within fields of applied informatics, bioinformatics and applied analytical chemistry, and potential for the development of your expertise. You will be part of a team of SW developers and researchers.
- Development of scientific computational applications, modification and extensions of 3rd party applications, mostly for mass spectrometry
- Continuous communication with the scientists
- Passive understanding of the scientific problem to be solved
- Informal algorithm specifications, mathematical formulae, …
- Implementation according to these specifications
- Emphasis on computational efficiency – parallel code, GPU, …
- Working with 3rd party software – extensions, modifications, …
- Primary development in Python, C/C++
- Regular communication with infrastructure administrators
- Joint search for suitable solutions
Skills and Qualifications
- Creativity, active search for improvements, innovative thinking
- Willingness to learn about the research area gradually
- Master’s degree in computing, electrical engineering, or computational disciplines in natural sciences (bioinformatics, computational chemistry, …)
- Moderate experience in software development
Beneficial to have/know
- Knowledge of programming languages: R, Java
- Solid background in information technologies
- Experience in mass spectrometry data processing
- Vibrant working environment and access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
- The dynamic group surrounded by an international team of experts
- Involvement in national and international projects
- Employee benefits: 6 weeks of leave per year, health insurance, pension insurance contribution, meal vouchers, discounted language courses, etc.
- Brno provides a high quality of life; it is a university city with lots of cultures and very family-friendly https://brnoregion.com/work
- We offer an initial appointment for one year with possible extension upon mutual satisfaction.
Applicants should provide the following information
- CV (European standard recommended)
- Cover letter
The deadline for applications is on 11 April 2021. A review of applications will run continuously as they are received and until the position is filled. The short-listed applicants complying with the requirements will be invited for personal or Teams interviews.
The application shall be submitted online via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application section in this link https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/vacancies/61515). After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, Barbora Chlubná.
Applications which are not submitted in English, Czech or Slovak language will not be included in the selection process.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with the principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with nine faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of Masaryk University, generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Brno, the capital of the South Moravian Region, situated approximately halfway between Prague and Vienna, it is the largest university town in the Czech Republic and a modern metropolis with a long history and culture. Recognizing the university’s significant role in making Brno one of the most innovative cities in the CEE region, it continuously supports, together with the South Moravian Region, the local scientific, start-up, and high-tech communities.