The Institute of Photonics and Electronics v. v. i.* invites applications for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow position in the field of Optical Systems for Biosensing. Join the Optical Biosensors research team (team leader Prof. Jiří Homola) and contribute to cutting-edge research in optics and biosensing.
The selected candidate will participate in the multidisciplinary research of optical biosensors based on surface plasmons and will be expected to develop novel optical platforms for biosensors based on plasmonic nanostructures for the detection of biomolecules related to biomedicine and investigation of biomolecular and cellular processes.
Specific tasks include:
- research of optical systems for sensing, including, in particular, the design and development of optical sensing systems employing plasmonic (nano)structures;
- integration of the developed optical systems with plasmonic nanostructures and microfluidic devices and characterization of their performance in biosensing experiments involving various biomolecules and cells.
Requirements and essential skills
- Ph. D. degree in optics, optoelectronics, physics, electrical engineering, or similar;
- strong publication record in the field of optical systems for sensing, microscopy, or plasmonics;
- experience in the design and theoretical analysis of optical systems (e.g., using Ansys ZEMAX);
- hands-on experience in the development of optical systems based on free-space optics, including design, fabrication, and characterization of such systems;
- ability to efficiently communicate with other team members and supervise students;
- good command of written and spoken English;
- expertise in the field of light sources and detectors and image data processing tools (using MATLAB, Python, LabView etc.) is of advantage.
- Participation in exciting multidisciplinary research projects with a high societal impact;
- work in an international and inclusive research team and institution;
- outstanding research infrastructure including multiple optical labs, cleanroom facilities (incl. electron-beam lithography system, and a 2-photon polymerization 3D printer), chemistry and biochemistry labs with support from professional lab technicians, computational resources, and mechanical workshop for optomechanical prototyping;
- full-time employment with five weeks of vacation and other benefits.
Terms of employment
The initial period of employment is one year (with the possibility of an extension), starting in October or upon agreement.
To apply, please, respond to our HR specialist Mrs. Simona Motlová (email firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following documents:
- letter of application (cover letter),
- list of publications.
In the subject line of your email, please, state that you are applying for a Postdoctoral research fellow position in Optical Systems for Biosensing.
* The selection procedure is announced in accordance with the Act No. 283/1992 of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, as amended by Act No. 420/2005, and in accordance with the Statutes of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic.