Workplace: Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 2-year contract, non-academic
Working Hours: 1 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: September 2024 or negotiable with respect to immigration timelines for non EU candidates
Number of Open Positions: 1
Pay: CZK 50 000 per month
Application Deadline: 31 01 2024
EU Researcher Profile: R2
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is modern, dynamic and the most attractive university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 6500 staff and 33 000 students, a wide range of research areas and a strong international position. We are the largest academic employer in the South Moravian Region.
Faculty of Science MU, a holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics at the Faculty of Science MU offers a postdoctoral position in String Theory. The string theory group consists of permanent members Klaus Bering, Josef Kluson, Rikard von Unge and Linus Wulff. The position is partly financed by the grant “Dualities and Higher derivatives” (GA23-06498S) from the Czech Science Foundation. Candidates with a background in related topics are particularly encouraged to apply. The position is for a fixed term of two years, with expected extension to a third year depending on available funding. The starting date is September 2024.
- To perform research in string theory of high international level
- To assist in the supervision of PhD students
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have:
- PhD Degree in Theoretical Physics.
- Experience in research in string theory with a strong track record
- Good communication skills (oral and written) in English
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to Linus Wulff email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An interesting job in a dynamically expanding university area
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Employee benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution or nursery/children´s group allowance, a financial meal allowance, lunches in canteens of MU, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, discounted language courses, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare groups at Campus and Komenského náměstí
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- Welcome Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
The application shall be submitted online by January 31, 2024 via an e-application, please find the reference to the e-application here: https://www.muni.cz/o-univerzite/kariera-na-mu/volna-mista/76926.
The candidate shall provide the following:
- Cover letter describing the candidate’s research interests and experience
- Summary of research outputs and publications
- Names and contact details of three references
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers.
Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
The Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!