Workplace: Department of Condensed Matter Physics, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 1-year contract (with possible extension), non-academic
Working Hours: 1 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: January 2024 or negotiable with respect to immigration timelines for non EU candidates
Number of Open Positions: 1
Pay: CZK 53.400 per month
Application Deadline: 31 December 2023
EU Researcher Profile: R2
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is modern, dynamic and the most attractive university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 6500 staff and 33 000 students, a wide range of research areas and a strong international position. We are the largest academic employer in the South Moravian Region.
Faculty of Science MU, a holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Department of Condensed Matter Physics at the Faculty of Science MU is seeking for the project QM4ST – Quantum materials for applications in sustainable technologies CZ.02.01.01/00/22_008/0004572 a Postdoctoral Research Associate, who will conduct research in Experimental Condensed Matter physics with focus on magnetism of oxide thin films, including nanostructures. The main research topics are magnetism of semiconducting oxides, magnetic phase transitions in transition metal oxides, and spintronics. The research will be performed at the Department of Condensed Matter Physics, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, using, in particular, the Pulsed Laser Deposition (PLD) system, the Vibration-Sample Magnetometry (VSM) system and X-ray laboratories at CEITEC Nano Infrastructure. CEITEC Nano Infrastructure is the joint, national, single-sited research infrastructure of the Central European Institute of Technology at the Brno University of Technology (CEITEC BUT) and Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, see http://www.nano.ceitec.cz.
- To participate in selecting specific problems (this will be done together with professors of the Department of Condensed Matter Physics)
- To use and to be responsible for the PLD system, joining to assisting both graduated and undergraduate students to use the PLD
- To perform VSM, XRD, XAS and XMCD measurements on selected advanced materials and to analyze the data using simulations if possible
- To write papers for publication in peer reviewed journals
- To present his/her results at international conferences
Skills and Qualifications
The successful candidate should:
- Be a researcher who has received a PhD or its equivalent in experimental Condensed Matter Physics or in a related field of study from an internationally recognized university within the last 7 years
- Have a good publishing record – in the last three years at least two publications registered in the Web of Science, or Scopus databases
- Have a strong background in Solid-State Physics and Materials Science
- Have an experience of at least two years in using PLD
- Good communication skills (oral and written) in English
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to assist. prof. Nguyen Hoa Hong (firstname.lastname@example.org) and prof. Adam Dubroka (email@example.com).
- An interesting job in a dynamically expanding university area
- A professional team and pleasant working conditions
- Interaction with leading scientists in an inspiring environment
- Diverse and challenging work in an excellent research environment
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Employee benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution or nursery/children´s group allowance, a financial meal allowance, lunches in canteens of MU, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, discounted language courses, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare groups at Campus and Komenského náměstí)
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- Welcome Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
The application shall be submitted online by 31 December 2023 via an e-application, please find the reference to the e-application here: https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/vacancies/76768.
The candidate shall provide following:
- CV including a summary of education and research experience, publication activity, involvement in research grants, etc.
- Scanned copy of the PhD diploma or an official letter certifying submission of a doctoral thesis for thesis defense and the planned defense date
- Cover letter describing candidate’s research interest and experience
- At least two reference letters or names and contact details of at least 2 references
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!