Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position
Postdoc in Computational Pathology
Workplace: RECETOX, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 1-year contract (with possible extension), non-academic
Working Hours: 1,0 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: negotiable with respect to immigration timelines for non-EU candidates
Number of Open Positions: 1
Application Deadline: 3.3.2024
EU Researcher Profile: R2
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is modern, dynamic and the most attractive university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 6500 staff and 33 000 students, a wide range of research areas and a strong international position. We are the largest academic employer in the South Moravian Region.
Faculty of Science MU, holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
RECETOX focuses on interdisciplinary research and education in the area of Environment & Health, studying toxic compounds and their behavior, transport & bioaccumulation to evaluate environmental effects, assess the exposure and health risks to humans, and develop technologies and biotechnologies to break them down. http://www.recetox.muni.cz/en/career/career-at-recetox
The rapid development of digital pathology and AI-based modelling approaches offers a perfect opportunity for discovering novel biomarkers for precision oncology. Over the last decade, and benefitting from several national and international projects, our group acquired a large corpus of multimodal data related to colorectal cancer. In this context, the Postdoctoral Fellow will develop new machine learning/AI methods for finding predictive biomarkers from pathology images and combining them with other modalities, such as transcriptomics and metagenomics.
- Develop novel methods for analyzing pathology images and related metadata
- Implement and maintain analysis pipelines for standard basic operations
- Manage research datasets and models
- Contribute to ongoing related projects and interact with collaborators
- Draft manuscripts in collaborations with supervisor and collaborators
- Present the results at conferences and symposia
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have:
- PhD in engineering, computer science, or related field
- Experience in medical image analysis, computer vision, or deep learning.
- Expertise in Python programming and either TensorFlow or Pytorch.
- Knowledge of version-control tools and software engineering practices.
- Experience with Linux-based systems and command line tools.
- Good communication skills in English
The applicant should have:
- Experience with parallel and distributed computing or execution of software on high performance computing systems.
- Experience with bioinformatics analyses
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to Assoc. Prof. Vlad Popovici, Ph.D., email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +420 549 49 3993.
- A dynamic environment with access to a unique data collection
- Consolidated infrastructure (including a high-performance slide scanner and professional software packages).
- An interesting job in a dynamically expanding university area
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Employee benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution or nursery/children´s group allowance, a financial meal allowance, lunches in canteens of MU, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, discounted language courses, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare groups at Campus and Komenského náměstí
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- Welcome Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
The application shall be submitted online by 3.3.2024 via an e-application here.
The candidate shall provide the following:
- Cover letter describing candidate’s research interest and experience
- Summary of research outputs and publications
- Names and contact details of at least 2 professional references.
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz. In case of problems with filling in the e-application form, please contact us by e-mail: email@example.com.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!