Fellowships for outstanding postdoctoral researchers from all over the world in different Laser technologies related areas!
Deadline April 15, 2024. Apply now!
The Central Bohemia Mobility Programme for Excellence in Research, Innovation and Technology (MERIT) is a regional programme for incoming mobility for 15 outstanding postdoctoral researchers from all over the world in technical and life sciences areas. It is a joint initiative of the Regional Government of Central Bohemia, 19 regional Research Organisations (ROs) as Host organisations (HOs), and a large number of national and international SMEs, large enterprises, universities and high-schools as Associated partners for secondments (temporary placement in academic or non-academic sector), all coordinated by the Central Bohemian Innovation Center. Co-funded by the European Commission under the Horizon Europe Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) – COFUND.
MERIT research groups related to Laser technologies are the following:
- Additive manufacturing (Czech Technical University in Prague, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering)
- Industrial Laser Applications (HiLASE)
- Advanced Laser Development (HiLASE)
- Laser-driven X-ray sources – Radiation Physics and Electron Acceleration (ELI Beamlines)
- Advanced Laser Development (ELI Beamlines)
Applicants must be in possession of a doctoral degree at the date of MERIT’s call deadline. There is no age limit. Researchers who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will also be considered as postdoctoral researchers and will be considered eligible to apply.
A mobility rule will be applied to all categories of researchers. Fellows must relocate to the Czech Republic. Researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the Czech Republic for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the call deadline.
Categories of researchers:
- Standard. Researchers moving within Europe or coming in from other parts of the world.
- Researchers at Risk. Researchers with the status of refugees or researchers at all stages of their careers who are experiencing threats to their life, liberty or research career, and those who are forced to flee or have been displaced because of such threats.
- Career Restart. Researchers who wish to restart their research after a career break (e.g., after parental leave, working outside research, etc.). The researchers must not have been active in research for a continuous period of at least 12 months within the 18 months immediately prior to the deadline for submission of proposals.
- Integration. Czech nationals or long-term residents who wish to return and reintegrate in a longer-term research position in the Czech Republic.
Fellows will be recruited for a minimum of 24 months to a maximum of 30 months, due to the demanding level of transferable skills training and outputs expected, the applicants are encouraged to apply for the maximum period possible. The candidates will be able to freely formulate their own research topics and choose the appropriate Host Organisation (HO), and secondment organisation (SO), including supervisors. Nevertheless, there must be a confirmation of the technical feasibility of the applicant’s proposal from the prospective supervisor (the template for endorsement can be found in the Guide for Applicants).
MERIT fellows will be provided with an up to 30 months fully paid internationally recognised MSCA COFUND fellowship, employed by a research organisation located in the Central Bohemia region in the Czech Republic. The fellowships will include a mobility allowance, a family allowance (if applicable), travel allowance, research costs, and can provide a special needs allowance (a financial support for researchers with disabilities). The minimum gross salary (not including employer’s social contributions) is €3,188/person/month. In addition to this gross salary, the researchers are entitled to travel and research cost of €700 per month based on reimbursement of expenses.
The fellows will benefit from excellent training programmes in research and transferable skills and from other career development opportunities, as well as, interdisciplinary research options, intersectoral exposure through the secondments, and international opportunities to create partnership and networks.
The fellows will be supported in their research projects and in the achievement of their career development goals planned together with their supervisor. The programme is designed to welcome fellows in a family-friendly environment, offering support and guidance in this crucial career phase.
Mandatory eligibility criteria:
- Eligibility form, to declare the applicant’s compliance with the mobility rule and research experience.
- Research proposal written in English, complete and uploaded to the MERIT online application system.
- Evidence of endorsment (print screen, PDF) of the e-mail confirming the technical feasibility of the applicant’s proposal from the prospective supervisor.
- The CV of the candidate written in English (5-page limit, extra pages will not be counted).
- Filled in Ethics Issues Table and, if applicable, Ethics self-assessment.
- The Secondment form.
Admitted applications will be evaluated and 15 fellowships will be awarded to successful candidates following a two-phase evaluation and selection process (written and oral interview).
Secondments will be an imperative experience (temporary placement in academic or non-academic sector). At least one secondment is compulsory for each fellowship. It should be relevant, feasible, and beneficial for the researcher and in line with the project objectives. The duration of the secondment is from 2 to a maximum of 9 months (Full Time Equivalent, FTE). It can be carried out in one or more institutions in a single period or divided into shorter periods. Short visits and stays of less than 2 months are not counted as secondments. For more information about the secondments visit https://meritcb.eu/secondments/
The deadline for applications is April 15, 2024. For further information on the participating research groups, secondment organisations, evaluation and selection process, and detailed benefits, please visit our website www.meritcb.eu and read carefully the Guide for Applicants.
- Online info session: March 12th at 14:00 hrs CET
- How to submit a competitive proposal: March 19th at 14:00 CET
You will find more information about both sessions and registration in the MERIT website www.meritcb.eu
Check this video to know why you should apply https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96FY-bKmGF0&list=PLwgDTg2vDPYLew1uHPy6qyE46oBdZhSdW !