The Institute of Hydrobiology (IHB, www.hbu.cas.cz) at the Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences in Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic, is seeking a highly motivated team member for the position of data analyst, to provide support in the development, management and processing of ecological datasets. Analytical work will be focused on various research fields, but mainly aimed to help researchers understand ecological processes and animal behaviour in freshwater environment. The position is highly suitable for a person who appreciate creative work and novel challenges.
The person will be responsible for:
- Data handling – participation on the development and implementation of local data management plan (DMP), propagation and translation of FAIR data principles into practice, data curation
- Statistical analyses – application of general and field specific statistical analyses
- Data visualization
- Reporting – participation on automatization of standard periodical reporting and result dissemination
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience:
- Graduate degree from a recognised university in computer science, statistics, IT, mathematics or ecology with a strong quantitative component
- Strong statistical background and knowledge of the R/Python programming language and environment
- Proficiency in Structured Query Language (SQL) including PostGIS
- Experience with spatial analyses and visualization
- Experience with Big Data processing
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Willingness to keep learning new things
- Enthusiastic about working in a dynamic and constantly evolving environment
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Good knowledge of English
IHB BC is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, uniformed services, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
- The opportunity to participate in unique scientific projects
- Competitive and motivating salary
- Start-up money will be provided to cover equipment and travel costs
- Professional growth
- 5 weeks of holiday
- friendly international working environment
- subsidized lunch
- support of leisure time activities
- and many more!
Institute and location information:
IHB carries out research in various freshwater ecosystems with main emphasis on man-made reservoirs. Labs and teams at IHB cover all aspects of freshwater ecosystems ranging from water chemistry to biochemistry, bacteria, protozoans, algae, zooplankton, fish and their predators (more info: http://www.hbu.cas.cz/?lang=en).
Ceske Budejovice, the site of IHB, is a beautiful historical town, situated ca. 150 km south of Prague with 100,000 inhabitants. It has a unique relaxed atmosphere with wonderful natural and historical sights in the vicinity. Both the town and the surrounding countryside provide numerous opportunities for research and leisure activities.
Foreign applicants will receive support in transferring to the Czech Republic. Knowledge of Czech is not required but the successful applicant will be offered support to take up language courses and reach a basic level of proficiency.
The position is initially for a two-year period with a possibility for extension based on funding circumstances. The position also requires a three-month probation period.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should email the following documents to the director of IHB, Prof. Jan Kubečka (email@example.com).
1) Cover letter outlining your skills and interest in the position
2) CV including full publication list
3) Copies of relevant diplomas
4) Contact details for 3 references
The position is open until filled