Biostatistician/Bioinformatician for a new department
Looking for an opportunity to develop your own research ideas? Join our new department of Bioinformatics at Institute of Botany CAS (IBOT).
IBOT is an institution which is a significant part of The Czech Academy of Sciences (CAS). The Academy employs over 8,000 employees, more than a half of whom are researchers with university degrees.
IBOT is located in Průhonice, which is a small town near Prague. There is excellent accessibility by public transport to Prague city center. By car, it takes 15 minutes to reach Prague. IBOT is located in the beautiful surroundings of the national and UNESCO heritage Průhonice Park.
Our team follows its independent lines of research, but also develops close collaborations with other local and international experts on data intensive projects.
More about IBOT at:
We invite motivated and skilled candidates to apply for the post of Biostatistician/Bioinformatician:
Your role will involve:
- Research focuses on the computational analysis of genomic and transcriptomic data generated by next-generation sequencing platforms from non-model plant species in order to address questions related to genome evolution, population genomics and phylogenetics.
- Ad hoc supervision and the opportunity for participation in the development of a new scientific department.
- Presentation and publication of the achievements.
- Co-operation with other members of the research team and with internal and external partners.
The start-up package includes:
- Competitive salary
- Highly collaborative and supportive working environment
- The Czech Republic Transfer Support
- Non-commercial accommodation nearby the work-place at the beginning
- Kindergarten on site (UNESCO heritage park)
- Various training and leadership opportunities are possible to broaden your expertise and skills
- Access to state-of-the-art computing infrastructure and services integrated in the Czech national grid infrastructure (https://www.metacentrum.cz/en/).
- Five weeks paid holiday; 5 sick-days
- A variety of leisure benefits
Contract duration: This is a one-year appointment with the possibility of extension for several years
- Master degree (or Ph.D. degree) in biostatistics, bioinformatics, computer science, or botany from a recognized institution
- Practical knowledge of next generation data processing in genomics or transcriptomics. A strong background in statistics is essential
- A reasonable command of English (spoken and written)
- Experience with Linux/Unix, good programming skills in Python and R
- Prior experience in gene flow research in macroevolution (polyploid and hybrid speciation) and microevolution (cross species hybridiation and population gene flow). Previous experience with relevant models and methods
- A publication record and an interest in machine learning and distributed data processing frameworks (Hadoop, Apache Spark) and Scala programming
- Self-driven team player with a passion for learning
Please submit a CV, a short summary cover/motivation letter, and a list of two references with contact information to email@example.com.
Relevant applicants will be interviewed by Skype. The selection of candidates is made on the basis of the qualifications registered in the application, incomplete applications will not be considered. The final decision will be made by a panel of IBOT members.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only successful applicants will be contacted within 3 weeks for interview.
The post is available until filled.
Quality of life index in 2020 is available at: