Dean of the Faculty of Informatics, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position:
Assistant Professor/Associate Professor in Computer Networks and Systems
Number of open positions: 1
Application deadline: 30 September 2023
Working Hours: full-time (40 hours per week)
Expected start: By mutual agreement
Employment: 3-year initial contract (with possible extension – tenure track)
Workplace: Faculty of Informatics – Department of Computer Systems and Communications, Masaryk University, Botanická 68a, Brno
EU Researcher Profile: Researcher 2 (preferred) – Researcher 3
Salary: CZK 80 000 (Assistant Professor) or CZK 115 000 (Associate Professor). This amount is guaranteed for at most 3 years. Within this period the applicant must enter the faculty personal evaluation scheme, which may modify the salary according to the level of involvement in the research and educational projects.
Job description key points
- involvement in teaching in the area of Computer Networks and eventually Computer Systems;
- expected to strengthen and expand the study field and its theoretical grounds;
- active involvement in or leadership of research activities;
- active international cooperation, in both research and education;
- involvement in industrial cooperation in the area of computer networks and systems.
The successful candidate must have
- PhD in computer science or a closely related discipline or PhD in computer science or a closely related discipline and habilitation (“venia docendi” or equivalent) or prerequisites for quick progress to habilitation;
- passion for problem-solving and a desire for continuous improvement in teaching skills;
- existing track record in both education and research in the IT areas related to computer networks, systems and communications;
- experience with teaching in bachelor’s and master’s programmes and experience with supervising final theses in at least one of the areas covered by courses:
1) PA151 Advanced Computer Networks
2) PA150 Principles of Operating Systems
3) PA197 Secure Network Design.- experience with research or development project team leadership (advantage);
- experience with research achievements published at the high quality conferences or journals;
- experience from other countries than Czech & Slovak Republics (at least half a year) or proof of other extensive international experience (e.g., international project leadership);
- standard academic proficiency in English (ability to communicate fluently in English in an international academic setting – both oral communication and writing/reading)(other language is an advantage);
- dynamic, flexible personality, able to work well in interdisciplinary and international teams.
Applicants should submit
- copy of diploma from the highest level of education (notarial certification not required);
- cover letter explaining the candidate’s motivation for the position;
- information on previous university teaching experience (list of taught courses and list of supervised theses);
- information on scientific activities:
1) publications that meet a high standard of quality, such as those with notable impact factors or from reputable conferences, e.g., ranking at least B in the CORE portal;
2) research projects the candidate led or joined, etc.;- title and abstract of a lecture that can be presented as a part of the application process;
- plan for scientific, research and teaching activities and a plan for professional development for the next 3 years;
- the names and contact details of three professional and language referees.
- an interesting job in a prestigious university environment with international overlap and cooperation with the application sphere;
- career development and growth (e.g. university seminar series, courses provided by MU, participation in conferences, staff mobility training, participation in research projects, support of project department);
- relocation support and help from the Welcome Office MU;
- employee benefits such as 8 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, Multisport card, vaccination allowance, childcare group at MU building (Komenského nám., Brno);
- workplace close to the centre of Brno with parking directly on the faculty premises.
Please submit your application, including all required documents, preferably online via the MU e-application ( https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/vacancies/76270 ). In case this way of submission would not be possible, we also accept a paper application with a declaration of the reason for such a submission.
The selection process is based on the Open Transparent Merit-based Recruitment Policy. Faculty of Informatics holds the HR Excellence in Research Award. The rules of the selection processes at the Faculty of Informatics MU can be found at Selection procedure | FI MU (muni.cz).
Once submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email. Candidates successful in the first round of the selection process will be invited for an in-person interview or a video-conference interview. Candidates who succeed in the second round will be invited to present a public lecture.
Queries regarding the submission procedure can be sent to HR Department: pers ( a t ) fi.muni.cz.
Queries regarding the position as such can be addressed to Assoc. Prof. Eva Hladká, Head of Department of Computer Systems and Communications, eva ( a t ) fi.muni.cz.
Further information is available: