SCIENTIFIC ASSISTANT (m/f)
Workplace: Institute of Entomology
Department: Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics
Laboratory: Laboratory of Microscopy and Histology
Employment relationship: Employment contract
Job type: Researcher
Researcher profile: R2, R3
Hours per week: 20
Job status: Part-time
Job starting date: 1. 1. 2023
Application deadline: 9. 12. 2022
The Institute of Entomology (IE, www.entu.cas.cz/en/) of the Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences opens a position of Scientific Assistant (m/f) for the Department of Molecular Biology, Laboratory of Microscopy and Histology.
Your job will be:
- to train new users on the IE microscopy equipment;
- to assist users in the use of microscopes and image data analysis software;
- to carry out regular routine of service and maintenance of microscopes and to arrange for repairs of microscopy equipment;
- to independently carry out research and development tasks within the framework of a project assigned by the line manager;
- to publish regularly in impacted journals;
- to follow new trends in image data analysis (FIJI, IMARIS, cellSence) etc.;
- to maintenance and update the Microscopy and Histology Laboratory website;
- to actively participate in teaching at the Faculty of Science of the University of South Bohemia (www.prf.jcu.cz/en/), which is provided by members of the laboratory;
- to participate in internships and courses supporting the improvement of your professional level;
- to participate in the management of technical staff;
- to participate in obtaining research funding from grant agencies.
Min. education level: PhD
Field of education: Biological, Technical
Competitive candidate should have:
- university degree in biology or technical field;
- experience with fluorescence microscopy, especially classical and confocal microscopy (knowledge of the following microscopy techniques is advantage: FRET, FRAP, FLIM, TIRF, two-photon, polarization, single molecule);
- experience with biological image analysis software;
- experience with web development welcome;
- flexibility and willingness to learn new workflows;
- ability to perform tasks independently as assigned by supervisor;
- knowledge of English at a good spoken and written level;
- communication and organisation skills.
- 1 extra week of holiday, i.e. 5 weeks of paid holiday per year in total
- Subsidized lunches in our own canteen
- Benefits from Social fund, support of leisure time activities
- Working in a stable, prestigious research institution of international importance
- Friendly international working environment
- Free language classes – Czech for foreigners, English for Czechs
- Opportunity to take part in mentoring programmes as a mentor or a mentee
- Concessionary mobile tariff at the contractual operator
- Concessionary banking services at the contractual bank
The starting date is 01 January 2023. The employment will be part-time (50 % FTE) and fixed-term.
Ceske Budejovice (2 hours away from Prague) is a city with over 750 years of tradition. It has history wherever you turn, excellent beer, breathtaking countryside around, and a growing international expert community at the Biology Centre CAS (BC CAS) and the University of South Bohemia (USB). Check out our Guide for Expats (https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/employees/) to read about life in the city and the Czech Republic.
The Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences holds the HR Excellence in Research Award. Our selection process is transparent, open, non-discriminating, and fair. For more information about the researchers‘ recruitment policy at our institution, see OTM-R (https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/employees/candidates/otm-r/).
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send us a motivation letter with a structured CV by 09 December 2022 via the REPLY button at the bottom of our official site https://jobs.bc.cas.cz/en/detail/135.