We offer a full-time postdoctoral position (2-years contract) in a field spanning macroecology, biogeography, biodiversity science, ecological statistics, and spatial ecology. The candidate will join the international team of Dr. Petr Keil (https://petrkeil.github.io) at the Dpt. of Spatial Sciences at the Faculty of Environmental Sciences, Czech University of Life Sciences in Prague, Czech Republic.
Research topic: The research will be part of ERC-funded project BEAST (“Biodiversity dynamics across a continuum of space, time, and their scales”). Within the project we study how biodiversity (and its different facets) changes in time, which includes extinctions and invasions, how the changes play out at local, regional, and continental scales, and what drives the changes. The project emphasizes terrestrial taxa (plants, vertebrates, insects). For a better idea about the research focus of our group visit our website.
Job description: The work will be mostly computational, and will involve handling of biodiversity databases, spatial data cleaning and management, programming, and custom-tailored statistical analyses (in R, Python, Julia, or similar). There will be intensive use of geographic information systems (GIS). We expect the postdoc to negotiate and collaborate with international data holders, and with other members of the team. Apart from being the lead author on papers and presenting on conferences, the postdoc can get training through workshops and courses. There will be teaching opportunities.
- PhD in ecology, macroecology, geography, zoology, botany, bioinformatics, biostatistics, environmental sciences, or related field. We also encourage holders of PhD in mathematics, statistics, or physics to apply.
- Ability to publish peer-reviewed papers, handle multiple co-authors, and coordinate and collaborate with external data holders.
- Experience with spatial/geographical data and GIS.
- Experience with statistical analyses and programming in R, Python, or similar environment.
We aim at increasing the diversity of our team, and welcome applicants of all genders, cultures, backgrounds, ages, or countries. We believe that a diverse team will broaden perspective and enhance creativity.
- Starting gross salary of 65,000 CZK/month (ca 2,650 EUR as of Sep 2022), which is ca 50,500 CZK/month net, but the latter varies depending on family situation and other circumstances. Median salary in the Czech Republic in the first quarter of 2022 was 31,923 CZK/month gross. Living costs (childcare, transportation) are generally lower than in Western Europe. For costs of accommodation see https://www.sreality.cz/en.
- Full medical insurance and social security as a standard part of the employment contract.
- 40 days of paid holiday per year.
- Motivational bonus payments for high-quality publications.
- Daycare at CZU campus for children of employees (≥ 2 years old).
- Funds for travel to conferences and workshops abroad. Funds for additional training.
- State-of-the-art scientific and computing equipment, software, access to journals and scientific databases.
- Subsidized lunches at the university canteen (Menza).
- International working environment (the working language is English), green spacious campus in Suchdol in the outskirts of Prague, 30 min to Prague city center by public transportation or bike, 15 min walk to several natural protected areas. The campus has various sports facilities, including a swimming pool, gym, athletic track, and indoor and outdoor playfields. The university also offers cheap holiday accommodation in mountains outside of Prague. Prague is one of the safest cities in the world with excellent public transportation, international accessibility, and healthcare.
- Starting date: 1st January 2023, later dates are negotiable.
To apply, please send by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), in a single .pdf of less than 10 MB:
- Motivation letter (1-2 pages) describing your expertise, research interests, stating why do you see yourself as a good fit, and where do you see yourself and your research in the future.
- Your CV including your publications and any other relevant or interesting outputs (code repositories, reports, your personal website, etc.).
- Contact details for 2-3 academic referees, e.g. your former supervisor, boss, or collaborator.
Review of applications will begin on 20th of October 2022, and will continue until the position is filled.