A postdoctoral position for an experienced researcher from the field of single particle cryo-EM is open in the Structural Parasitology group at IOCB Prague led by Dr. Sebastian Zoll. The group focuses on understanding the structural basis of interactions between parasite surface proteins with human host factors to elucidate immune defence strategies of the parasite and foster the development of novel therapeutic strategies against neglected diseases. The lab is well-funded and supported by a diverse network of international collaborators.
We are seeking a skilled cryo-electron microscopist (cryo-EM) to join our international team of protein biochemists and structural biologists. The successful candidate will have a PhD in structural biology or a related field with a focus on structure determination by single particle cryo-EM. The successful candidate will share their expertise with the group and provide training for the junior members. Active participation in several, already more advanced projects is therefore required. Training in microscope operation is not essential and will be provided.
Sülzen, H., Began, J., Dhillon, A., Kereiche, S., Pompach, P., Votrubova, J., Zahedifard, F., Subrtova, A., Safner, M., Hubalek, M., Thompson, M., Zoltner, M., and Zoll, S. (2023) Cryo-EM structures of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense ISG65 with human complement C3 and C3b and their roles in alternative pathway restriction. Nature Communications 14, 2403. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-023-37988-7
What knowledge and skills you should have:
- Proficiency in usage of Linux workstations or clusters
- Expertise in cryo-EM sample preparation and data processing using RELION and CryoSPARC
- Experience in protein purification and biophysical interaction techniques is a plus, but not essential
- Good English oral and written communication skills are mandatory
- Reputation of an international recognised research institute
- Links to pharmaceutical industry and translational research
- Working in a young, promising, and progressive scientific team of medicinal chemists, virologists, immunologists, computational chemists, and biochemists
- Competitive financial remuneration based on the level of experience and is negotiable
- 5 weeks of paid vacation plus 3 sick days
- Health insurance and full benefits package incl. contribution to supplementary pension insurance
- Financial support for parents with children under 4 years of age returning to work after maternity/parental leave
- Full-time fixed-term employment contract for 3-4 years with the possibility for extension
- Location in the stunning city of Prague
How to apply:
Please send a short motivation letter (max. 500 words), your CV and contact information for two references to Dr. Sebastian Zoll at email@example.com.
If you do not hear from us within 3 weeks, we have decided to proceed with another candidate. Thank you for your understanding.
Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry of the CAS / IOCB Prague is a leading internationally recognized scientific institution whose primary mission is the pursuit of basic research in chemical biology and medicinal chemistry, organic and materials chemistry, chemistry of natural substances, biochemistry and molecular biology, physical chemistry, theoretical chemistry, and analytical chemistry. An integral part of the IOCB Prague’s mission is the implementation of the results of basic research in practice. Emphasis on interdisciplinary research gives rise to a wide range of applications in medicine, pharmacy, and other fields.