We are a research campus with a strong tradition in biosciences focused on complex ecological, evolutionary & developmental aspects of LIFE.
Department of Parasitology, University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice
is looking for excellent candidates for a
Postdoctoral Position – Genomics and ecology of bacterial symbiosis in blood feeding insects
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia announces opening of a postdoctoral position in the field of Genomics and ecology of bacterial symbiosis in blood feeding insects starting 2021. The Department has established successful collaborations with number of US and British labs leading the field of symbiosis and microbial ecology. The position takes part of research groups of Prof. Václav Hypša (email@example.com) and Assoc. Prof. Eva Novakova (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Using several models of bloodsucking insects, following questions will be addressed. What are the main factors determining direction of a symbiont’s genome modifications? How do the acquisitions/losses/replacements influence general pattern of the symbionts adaptation? How much is the microbiome composition determined by inherited bacteria and by associated contaminations? How stable are the microbiomes in pathogen vectors and what is their role in the vector competence?
Areas of Research
- Insect Symbiosis
- Evolutionary Biology
The start-up package includes
- The position is available for the duration of 2 years with a possibility of extension
- Full time job
- Support for career development and mentoring,
- International team and collaboration and opportunities to travel
- Meals allowance, full health insurance, employee benefits
- Administration support with relocation & settlement in the Czech Republic
- Work-life balance in a middle-sized university city offering options for outdoor, sport & cultural activities.
Competitive candidates are expected to
- receive a PhD diploma in an area of Biology related to the topic of this postdoc position or related fields
- have experience with bioinformatics, genomics and metagenomics
- start date – within first half of 2021 (based on mutual agreement)
- ask innovative scientific questions,
- demonstrate a promising track record including publications & funding,
Documents to submit
- CV including a list of publications
- Scanned proof of PhD degree
- Brief description of prior research, skills, experiences and interests (a single page)
Please submit your application with above mentioned documents via e-mail to email@example.com by March 7th.