Workplace: Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 3-year contract
Working Hours: 40 FTE (full-time)
Expected Start Date: by agreement
Number of Open Positions: 1
Pay: 60 000 CZK
Application Deadline: 15.1.2022
EU Researcher Profile: R2
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics conducts research on a wide range of topics. In Astrophysics we are focussed on the physics of massive stars, star clusters and the intergalactic medium using spectroscopical data and theoretical modelling where satellite data is an increasingly important source of information. In String theory we are active in the fields of Supersymmetry, D-branes, Integrability and formal aspects of BRST-BV quantization. In optics we investigate and design new optical devices based on transformation optics and on the analogy between optics and mechanics.
The high-energy astrophysics research group at Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic, invites applications for postdoctoral fellowships in extragalactic high-energy astrophysics. The successful applicants will closely collaborate with the research group of Norbert Werner. The current research of the high-energy astrophysics group includes studies of clusters of galaxies, AGN feedback, Galactic centre, chemical enrichment, and galaxy evolution, as well as the use of nano/micro-satellites for monitoring the high-energy sky. Candidates with experience in cosmological simulations are particularly encouraged. The successful applicants are expected to carry out an independent research program and collaborate with the growing young, international team of researchers at Masaryk University.
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have PhD in astrophysics or physics.
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to doc. Mgr. Norbert Werner, Ph.D., email: email@example.com, phone: +420 776 772 645.
- The successful applicants are expected to carry out an independent research program and collaborate with the growing young, international team of researchers at Masaryk University. An interesting job in a dynamically expanding university
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Employee benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, a financial meal allowance, lunches in canteens of MU, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, discounted language courses, university cinema discount, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare group-Campus.
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- Support with your relocation to Brno by our International Staff Office
The application shall be submitted online by 15 January 2022 via an e-application here: https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/vacancies/66739
The candidate shall provide following:
- Cover letter with a brief statement of research interests and experience
- Summary of publications and talks
- arrange to have three letters of reference e-mailed directly to Norbert Werner (firstname.lastname@example.org)
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!