Workplace: Institute of Parasitology
Department: Biology of Disease Vectors
Laboratory: Laboratory of Vector Immunology
Employment relationship: Employment contract
Job type: Researcher
Researcher profiles: R2, R3
Job status: Full-time
Gross salary/wage: Net salary 2 500 EUR per month
Application deadline: 17 December 2021
The Institute of Parasitology within the Biology Centre CAS has opened a 15-month postdoctoral position in bioimaging and EM ultrastructural studies of tick tissues at the Laboratory of Vector Immunology (PI Petr Kopáček). The Institute of Parasitology BC CAS represents one of the largest institutions dedicated to basic research in parasitology within the EU. It provides all state-of-the-art facilities required to undertake a multi-disciplinary repertoire of methods, enabling studies on host-parasite interactions at the organismal, cellular, and molecular levels.
The successful applicant will focus on histological aspects associated with metabolic and reproductive tick physiology representing the long-term goals of the laboratory. On top of tick physiology, the intended research will also include particullar studies evaluating the roles of individual genes/proteins playing essential roles in the host-tick-transmitted pathogen interaction triangle. Applicant’s responsibility will be to work and manage the histological part of several ongoing research projects and arrange for confocal and electron microscopy observations, including immunohistochemical staining and pre-treatment of ticks with chemicals/labels via in vitro (membrane) feeding. Substantial part of the work will be performed at the BC IoP Laboratory of Electron Microscopy holding all the necessary know-how and equipment for EM observations. The successful applicant will work independently – application for own independent research projects to prolong the postdoctoral contract and to further enhance own independent research carrier will be welcomed.
The net salary will be 2.500 EUR per month with the potential for significant financial benefits depending on the applicant’s experience and performance, enabling a comfortable life in the Czech Republic.
Min. education level: PhD
Field of education:Biology: Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Parasitology, Histology, Electron Microscopy
Languages: Excellent English
- Experience with confocal and electron microscopy
- Maximum of 7 years after PhD (not earlier than in 2015)
- Area of focus in histological studies using modern bioimaging, transmission and scanning electron microscopy approaches
- Candidates who were employed or still working within the Czech Republic in the past two years are not eligible to apply
- 1 extra week of holiday, i.e. 5 weeks of paid holiday per year in total
- Subsidised lunches in our canteen
- Benefits from Social fund
- Working in a stable, prestigious research institution of international importance
- Friendly international working environment
- Support of leisure time activities
- Free language classes – Czech for foreigners, English for Czechs (the capacity is limited)
- Opportunity to take part in mentoring programmes as a mentor or a mentee
- Concessionary mobile tariff at the contractual operator
- Concessionary banking services at the contractual bank
PLACE AND BACKGROUND
History wherever you turn and excellent beer. That is České Budějovice (2 hours away from Prague). A city with over 750 years of tradition, the breathtaking countryside around, and a growing international expert community at the Biology Centre and the University of South Bohemia. Check out our Guide for Expats to read about life in the city and the Czech Republic.
The Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences holds the HR Excellence in Research Award. Our selection process is transparent, open, non-discriminating and fair. For more information about the researchers‘ recruitment policy at our institution, see OTM-R.
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
Applications should include the following documents submitted via our website by 17 December 2021.
1) Cover letter
3) Copy of PhD diploma
4) List of publications
Please e-mail Dr Daniel Sojka (email@example.com) with the subject TISSUE MICROSCOPY EXPERT for questions or additional information.