The Department of Public Economics at the Faculty of Economics and Administration, Masaryk University (Brno, Czech Republic), is inviting PhD applicants in the broad field of public economics. The study focuses on scientific research and independent and creative practical or theoretical work in the areas of research and development. Students and recent graduates with a background in economics, finance, management, statistics, psychology, and related disciplines are invited to apply.
Any of the following research areas is of particular interest:
1. Theoretical public economics
2. Experimental public economics
3. Public sector economics and economy
4. Non-profit sector economics and economy
5. Public administration
Successful applicants will work within a relevant research group. Different specialized units are expected to support their studies – especially the Masaryk University Experimental Economics Laboratory (MUEEL), the Institute for Public Administration, the Centre for Nonprofit Sector Research (CVNS), and the Sustainability and Circularity Institute. You will be supervised by one of senior scholars from the research group.
PhD students initially receive a minimal fellowship of 15,500 CZK (approx. 600 EUR) per month for 24 months. After successful defense of their research proposal and first results, minimal funding of 18,000 CZK (approx. 700 EUR) per month is extended of additional 24 months. In addition, there is a possibility to apply for travel allowances, to participate in a students’ grant competition with a high success rate and to participate in research projects with external funding. PhD students typically spend at least one semester at a research-stay at an international university in Europe. There is no tuition fee.
The ideal candidate:
- must have completed master’s degree in Economics, Applied Economics, Business and management, Psychology or related fields before the beginning of the course;
- must be well versed in quantitative/qualitative research methods and techniques;
- must demonstrate attention to detail, and combine integrity, creativity, efficiency and a willingness to cooperate with colleagues;
- must be passionate about economic/public administration research in general and about his/her topic in particular;
- must possess good communication and presentation skills; he/she must be fluent in English (both written and spoken).
Previous (research) experience, although not required, is considered a bonus.
If you wish to apply, please check profiles of potential supervisors and submit
- Letter of application, including description of areas of expertise, research interests, and experience
- Complete CV
to the prospective supervisor according to your research interest and his/her area of expertise with the copy to the program chair Juraj Nemec (Juraj.Nemec@econ.muni.cz).
Once your future supervisor agrees, you may officially apply via our online application. A fee for one application at the Faculty of Economics and Administration is 600 CZK. The online application requires you to submit the following documents (in English):
- Dissertation project (based on the topic you agreed on with your future supervisor)
- Structured professional CV
- Letter of motivation
- Proof of achieved education
30th November 2022, 23:59 (course start date in February 2023)
- Dissertation project may be submitted by the 20th December 2022.
30th April 2023, 23:59 (course start date in September 2023)
In case of any questions regarding the PhD programs in general or the application process, please contact Lucie Přikrylová (email@example.com).
You can also find information on our website. We recommend to read the Terms and Conditions of Admission to the Faculty of Economics and Administration as well.
Follow us on Twitter for more opportunities (@veda_econmuni).