Algal Evolution and Ecology group at Centre Algatech, Institute of Microbiology Trebon (Czech Republic) is seeking a postdoctoral researcher in molecular genetics. The group is led by Jan Janouskovec and Eva Horakova. We study evolution, ecology, and molecular biology of microalgae and heterotrophic protists (PNAS 114:E171–E180; Curr Biol 27(23), eLife 8:e49662; Nat Commun 13:7075).
We are looking for a Ph.D. student with a background in molecular biology for a project on microalgal photosynthesis. The project aims to understand little known steps in the biogenesis of chlorophylls and carotenoids and to use this knowledge to explore pigment synthesis in vitro. The work will focus on model phototrophs Synechocystis, Chlamydomonas and Phaeodactylum. The degree will be conferred by the University of South Bohemia.
We seek candidates with:
- a Master’s degree in molecular biology or related field: experience with cloning, cell transformation, nucleic acid and protein analysis and basic biochemistry is an advantage.
- independent thinking, motivation and strong communication skills.
- a record of independent contribution to research ideally publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- strong, individual mentorship.
- opportunities to network, work abroad and present data at regional and/or international meetings.
- a 4-year Ph.D. stipend with full health and dental insurance coverage.
- International work environment and collaboration with universities in the EU and UK.
Centre Algatech hosts several internationally recognized groups in microbiology research with a high proportion of foreign researchers and a friendly, collegial atmosphere, and English as working language. We have been funded by prestigious awards (ERC, EXPRO), have outstanding facilities for molecular biology and biochemistry research and have strong ties with the University of South Bohemia and the Czech Academy of Sciences.
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics was established in 2016 at the University of South Bohemia in Ceske Budejovice. Research activities are focused on functional analysis of genes using various model organisms. Ph.D. students are trained in modern methods of molecular genetics, including mutagenesis, transgenesis, and cell culture techniques. The department is closely associated with the Czech Academy of Sciences and offers a Ph.D. programme in Integrative Biology.
Please send a single PDF document in English containing the following information to Eva Horakova (email@example.com) by October 31, 2023. However applications will be reviewed until December 31, 2023, if no candidate has been selected. The programme start date is flexible but preferred in January 2024.
- Motivation letter detailing your fit for the position (max.1 page)
- Curriculum vitae with a complete list of peer-reviewed publications (max.2 pages)
- Contact information for 2 academic referees (please do not include letters with the application)