The Institute of Hydrobiology within the Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences invites applications from prospective PhD students to study ecology of aquatic protists.
The Department of Aquatic Microbial Ecology is opening one PhD student position with a PhD program in Limnology to study the diversity, dynamics, and ecological traits of freshwater eukaryotes using single-cell techniques, sequencing, and experimental approaches. This position is in the framework of the 3-year grant from the Czech-Polish bilateral project (PIs: Indranil Mukherjee, CZ, and Kasia Piwosz, PL) funded by the Czech Science Foundation (GAČR).
The major focus of the project is to understand the role of middle-sized heterotrophic nanoflagellates (HNF) in the size range 5-20 μm, which are either omnivores, feeding not only on bacteria, but even more so on bacterivorous HNF and algae, or predators, feeding primarily on bacterivorous or plastidic flagellates. Similarly, small ciliates (12-20 μm), currently assumed to be primarily omnivorous, actually belong to the key planktonic bacterivores in most eu- and hypertrophic aquatic habitats. You will work in both environmental samples collected from freshwater lakes in the Czech Republic and the brackish Baltic Sea (Gulf of Gdansk, Poland) and samples from food web manipulation experiments conducted in the laboratory. To read more information about the project and the our department click here.
• Do you have a master´s degree in Biological Sciences (e.g. Limnology, Marine biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Ecology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics?
• Are you strongly motivated to work with protists using modern microscopic approaches (CARD-FISH, prey-tracer techniques) and sequencing-based molecular settings?
• Do you have experience in R and high-throughput sequence analysis pipelines? This requirement will be favourably considered but is not a prerequisite to selection.
• Do you have good knowledge of spoken and written English?
• Your work would be 50% laboratory-based, 30% computational, and 20% fieldwork.
• 1 extra week of holiday, i.e. 5 weeks of paid holiday per year in total
• Subsidized lunches in our canteen
• Benefits from Social fund
• Full health insurance
• Student benefits
• Working in a stable, prestigious research institution of international importance
• Friendly international working environment
• Support of leisure time activities
• Free language classes – Czech for foreigners, English for Czechs (the capacity is limited)
• Opportunity to take part in mentoring programmes as a mentor or a mentee
• Concessionary mobile tariff at the contractual operator
• Concessionary banking services at the contractual bank
PLACE AND BACKGROUND
History wherever you turn and excellent beer. That is Ceske Budejovice (2 hours away from Prague). A city with over 750 years of tradition, the breathtaking countryside around, and a growing international expert community at the Biology Centre CAS and the University of South Bohemia. Check out our Guide for Expats to read about life in the city and the Czech Republic.
We are a holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award. Our selection process is transparent, open, non-discriminating and fair. For more information about the researchers´ recruitment policy, see OTM-R.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please send your application via the „REPLY“ on our website. Submit the following documents, preferably all combined in a single PDF file:
1) A detailed CV (including your grades)
2) A brief statement of your research interests and work performed
3) A cover letter stating your research interest and the motivation to work with protists
4) The Name and contact information for at least two referees
We would like to fill the position ASAP, but the target date is February 2022. Applications will be evaluated monthly starting January 2022. Nonetheless the positions will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please, feel free to ask any additional questions about the project. If so, e-mail Indranil Mukherjee (email@example.com) and c/c to Prof. Karel Šimek (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject „PhD Application“.