Biology Centre CAS, České Budějovice, Czech Republic opens a position of the Junior Research Group Leader at the Institute of Entomology.
The Institute of Entomology BC CAS (https://www.entu.cas.cz/en/homepage/) is seeking a new Junior Research Group Leader with a focus on insect molecular physiology or a related field. The successful candidate will be expected to establish his/her own group and conduct successful independent research. The group leader will be expected to set his/her own research direction, design and submit projects to national and international funding agencies, organize experiments and other work of his/her group, including mentoring BSc, MSc and PhD students; and publish results in high quality scientific journals.
The position will start any time after 1 January 2024, subject to mutual agreement.
The successful candidate will be given a period of 2-3 years during which the group is expected to become fully established. During this time, the Institute will provide the necessary laboratory and office space, the salary of the leader, a portion of the salary of a technician and a partial salary support for 1-2 graduate students, and a grant for the purchase of basic equipment, chemicals, and supplies. The group is expected to become partially financially independent, funded from research grants, by the third year at the latest. The scientific performance of the group will be evaluated after 3 years.
- PhD degree or equivalent.
- Strong track record in molecular physiology of insects (or related field).
- Strong leadership and excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in fundraising for research / leading a research group.
- Fluency in spoken and written English (Czech language is not a prerequisite for the position).
- Working in a large, thematically diverse research institution in an easy-going country.
- Freedom in choosing your own research direction.
- Access to all facilities of the BC including electron microscopy, confocal and light microscopy, metabolomics and analytical biochemistry, and more.
- Close collaboration with the University of South Bohemia (opportunities to teach and recruit students).
- Continuity of research group beyond the 3yrs period if scientifically productive.
The Institute of Entomology (https://www.entu.cas.cz/en/homepage/) is one of five research Institutes of the Biology Centre.
The Biology Centre CAS (BC, https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/) is a vibrant international community of ca 300 scientists plus ca 150 PhD students. The BC offers a dynamic, diverse, and well-equipped scientific environment, with opportunities for development of collaborations and own career. The BC shares the campus and closely cooperates with the University of South Bohemia (https://www.jcu.cz/en/). The BC holds the HR Award. Our selection process meets European standards for recruitment of researchers (https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/employees/candidates/otm-r/) and we provide our employees from abroad with welcome service (visa application, administration, relocation & settlement support). Gender equality plan (https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/about-us/gender-equality/) has been accepted in 2022.
České Budějovice (2 hours south of the capital Prague) is a middle-sized city with ca 100K inhabitants, relaxed atmosphere, over 750 years of tradition and a picturesque countryside around. Both the town and the surrounding countryside provide numerous opportunities for research and leisure activities. In addition, the living costs are still low by international standards. Check out our Guide for Expats (https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/employees/) to read about life in the city and the Czech Republic.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should apply by submitting the following documents and information until 31 August 2023 via the REPLY button at the bottom of the official job site https://jobs.bc.cas.cz/en/detail/164:
- Structured CV detailing the past research and other record.
- Proof of PhD qualifications.
- List of scientific publications.
- Concept of the research and management strategy for the newly established laboratory.
- List of 3 referees.