Workplace: Institute of Plant Molecular Biology
Employment relationship: Employment contract
Job type: Researcher
Researcher profile: R4
Job status: Full-time
Job starting date: 1. 1. 2024
Application deadline: 28. 2. 2023
We offer two positions for independent group leaders in plant molecular biology.
We are establishing two new independent research groups within the ERA Chair project at the Institute of Plant Molecular Biology, Biology Centre, Czech Academy of Sciences in collaboration with Prof. Jiri Friml, ISTA, Austria.
More about planned research within the ERA Chair program here: https://www.umbr.cas.cz/en/news-and-events/news-detail/6586-biology-centre-will-strengthen-plant-research/
The Institute of Plant Molecular Biology (IPMB, www.umbr.cas.cz/en/) is part of the Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences (BC, www.bc.cas.cz), a public research institution dedicated to the investigation of ecological, evolutionary and developmental aspects of life. BC consists of five autonomous research institutes: Entomology, Hydrobiology, Parasitology, Plant Molecular Biology, and Soil Biology and Biogeochemistry. BC is located in České Budějovice, Czech Republic at a research campus shared with the University of South Bohemia. BC is one of the largest research institutions in Czechia with more than 800 employees, 30% are non-Czech researchers from 44 countries. More than 140 research projects are currently running at BC, including ERC, EMBO, MSCA, H2020 and Horizon Europe projects.
IPMB currently hosts six research groups focused on molecular cytogenetics, biophysics and biochemistry, epigenetics, molecular signalling, virology and photosynthesis. IPMB is fully equipped for competitive plant molecular biology research with sufficient laboratory and office space, and state-of-the-art plant cultivation facility.
Min. education level: PhD
Field of education: Plant molecular biology
- are excellent researchers in plant molecular biology
- have a completed PhD degree and international research experience
- have independent thinking & passion for science
- have original/innovative research vision
- demonstrate a promising track record (publications & funding)
- have potential to attract international & national research grants (ERC, EMBO, MSCA, HE, GACR, etc.)
- are ready to establish, develop & lead own independent research teams
- find synergy with other research groups at the Biology Centre CAS
- are motivated to tutor a new generation of promising researchers
- are motivated to contribute to the development of plant molecular biology and research environment at Biology Centre CAS
- full time position for four years (between 2023-2027) with possibility of extension
- tentative starting date (negotiable) on 01 Jan 2024
- opportunity to establish an independent research group in plant molecular biology
- equipped office, laboratory & cultivation space
- start-up package of 500,000 EUR (125,000 EUR per year) covering competitive salaries (PI, one postdoc, one PhD candidate) for four years
- access to the state-of-the-art research infrastructure & equipment (plant cultivation, bioimaging & outreach facility)
- opportunity for mentorship within the framework of ERA Chair
- opportunity to tutor BSc, MSc & PhD students of the Faculty of Science University of South Bohemia, www.prf.jcu.cz/en
- professional career & soft skills development of team members
- English speaking, stimulating and friendly environment
- HR Excellence in Research Award, implemented European standards in human resources
- professional administration support with personal, economic, legal, project, IT, intellectual property needs
- support for preparation of competitive project proposals
- support for integration in the Czech system, activities for expats
- work-life balance in a historical middle-sized university city offering options for outdoor and cultural activities
- campus-based day care for children from the age of 1 year
Other employment benefits
- 1 extra week of holiday, i.e. 5 weeks of paid holiday per year in total
- Subsidized lunches in our own canteen
- Benefits from Social fund
- Working in a stable, prestigious research institution of international importance
- Friendly international working environment
- Support of leisure time activities
- Free language classes – Czech for foreigners, English for Czechs (the capacity is limited)
- Opportunity to take part in mentoring programmes as a mentor or a mentee
- Concessionary mobile tariff at the contractual operator
- Concessionary banking services at the contractual bank
České Budějovice (2 hours away from Prague) is a city with over 750 years of tradition. It has history wherever you turn, excellent beer, breathtaking countryside around, and a growing international expert community at the Biology Centre CAS (BC CAS) and the University of South Bohemia (USB). Check out our Guide for Expats (https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/employees/) to read about life in the city and the Czech Republic.
The Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences holds the HR Excellence in Research Award. Our selection process is transparent, open, non-discriminating, and fair. For more information about the researchers‘ recruitment policy at our institution, see OTM-R (https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/employees/candidates/otm-r/).
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your (1) motivation letter with detailed description of your planned research activities (max 4 pages in total) and (2) structured CV including list of publications and contacts of two referees (max 4 pages) via the application form (Google Docs) or via the REPLY button at the bottom of https://jobs.bc.cas.cz/en/detail/125 by Tue 28 Feb 2023 23:59 CET.
Interviews with selected applicants will be held in April 2023.
Informal inquiries can be directed via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.