The ELI Beamlines Facility is a leading laser research centre and part of ELI (Extreme Light Infrastructure) pan-European Research Infrastructure hosting the world’s most intense lasers. ELI provides unique tools of support for scientific excellence in Europe. ELI Beamlines developed and operates four leading edge high-power femtosecond laser systems reaching unprecedented intensities. ELI Beamlines offers to its users unique femtosecond sources of X-rays and accelerated particles. These beamlines enable pioneering research not only in physics and material science, but also in life science, laboratory astrophysics, chemistry with strong application potential.
ELI Beamlines facility is currently part of the Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of scientist that operates the ELI Beamlines Facility with the mandate of ELI ERIC – being an international organization representing the pan-European ELI project as ESFRI landmark. It is foreseen that the ELI Beamlines Facility will be organizationally integrated into ELI ERIC in the course of the appointment.
The Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences is a holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award. It is awarded by the European Commission to institutions, which put significant effort into improving their human resources strategy and ensuring professional and ethical working conditions.
The Extreme Light Infrastructure Beamline Facility (ELI BL) is seeking: Head of department of Ion Acceleration and Applications
The ELIMAIA (ELI Multidisciplinary Application of laser-Ion Acceleration) user beamline has been recently installed and preliminary commissioned by the Ion Acceleration and Applications of High Energy Particles department, along with its key system ELIMED (ELI MEDical Applications) for ion beam transport and dosimetry. The mission of ELIMAIA is to provide stable and well-characterized beams of ions for users interested in exploring a wide range of applications.
- establish and manage a research team with focus on operation, maintenance, and upgrades of the ELIMAIA user beamline in the experimental area E4 of ELI Beamlines
- prepare and process technical reports on the status of operations of ELIMAIA systems and sub-systems
- perform and coordinate innovative research and R&D activities focused on novel methods for the generation of short, high-energy ion beams using ultra-intense laser fields
- coordinate and conduct experimental campaigns at international high power laser facilities for testing various ion acceleration schemes, targetry and diagnostic solutions to be subsequently implemented at ELIMAIA
- ensure implementation of the tasks with respect to the schedule of the ELI Beamlines user programme and milestones/deliverables of R&D projects
- actively publish concepts and research results in high impact journals
- conceive and submit patents before publishing in scientific journals
- supervise undergraduate and graduate students
- liaise with appropriate laboratories and universities
What do we expect?
- PhD in physical sciences is preferable
- extensive knowledge in laser driven ion acceleration related science and technology, as well as multidisciplinary applications of such non-conventional beams
- sufficient leadership experience in research and user facilities
- ability to manage a middle-size team of researchers with highly specialized skills in science and engineering
- excellent organizational, communication, and negotiation skills
- proficiency in English
- full-time position at the ELI Beamlines Facility in the Czech Republic
- the opportunity to lead a world class laser driven ion acceleration user facility
- the opportunity to cooperate with worldwide leaders in laser-plasma ion acceleration and applications
- pleasant and modern working environment of an international organization
- initial duration of the contract is five years with possible extension
- support in professional growth
- competitive and motivating salary with relocation package
- flexible working hours
- 5 weeks of holidays and 6 days of personal leave
Applications, containing CV, cover letter, contacts of references, and any other material the candidate considers relevant, should be sent to Mrs. Jana Ženíšková, HR Specialist (firstname.lastname@example.org, +420 601 560 322) by 15th October 2022. IoP (FZU) reserves the right to extend the deadline for applications submission.
Information regarding the personal data processing and access to the personal data at the Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences can be found on: https://www.fzu.cz/en/processing-of-personal-data