Study program: Biomedical Sciences
Specialization: Cell and Tissue Morphology
Supervisor: Mgr. Zuzana Koledova, PhD.
Affiliation: Masaryk University, Faculty of Medicine
Research Area: Developmental Biology: Regulation of epithelial morphogenesis and cancer
We study processes, which govern epithelial morphogenesis and homeostasis, and deregulation of which can lead to developmental defects and cancer. Our ultimate goal is to understand how cells communicate to form complex functional structures. To this end, we use mammary gland as the main model organ because of the major morphological and functional changes it undergoes postnatally.
During puberty, mammary epithelial ductal tree is formed by branching morphogenesis and undergoes further remodeling with each estrus cycle and pregnancy. These processes are highly regulated systematically by hormones and locally by epithelial-stromal interactions via paracrine signals and mechanosignaling. Deregulation of these signaling mechanisms leads to tumorigenesis.
Methodology: 3D cell culture (organoids), state-of the-art imaging techniques (time-lapse, confocal and two-photon microscopy), image analysis, genetic mouse models (incl. intravital microscopy), molecular biology techniques (Western blot, qPCR…), mathematical modelling.
More information on our team and publications:
PhD research topics available:
- Regulation of mammary epithelial morphogenesis by fibroblasts
- ERK signaling dynamics during mammary epithelial morphogenesis
- MSc. degree from biology, biochemistry or its equivalent
- Interest in developmental and fundamental processes of life
- High motivation and work ethics, scientific curiosity and critical thinking, self-drive
- Interest in learning new methods, dexterity
- Willingness to travel abroad for research internship and conferences
- Active knowledge of English
- Tissue culture skills, imaging and/or mouse work experience are advantageous
- Interdisciplinary projects on highly relevant scientific topics
- Work in young, enthusiastic team with active international collaborations
- Participation at international meetings, internships at collaborating laboratories abroad
- Competitive salary (min. 22.000 CZK/month), based on skills and performance
Deadline for applications: 29th February 2020