This topic will cover both experimental and modelling activity. The PhD student will be involved in the development of methodology for characterization of colloidal stability of polymer latexes under elevated shear forces. To cover broad range of conditions, latexes composed of nanoparticles with various sizes and surface functionalization will be tested under elevated shear forces generated in high shear mixer and rheometer. Experimental findings will be used to formulate the rate expression for nanoparticle aggregation and its application to predict colloidal stability of polymer latexes under industrially relevant operating conditions.
- Immediate start
- Work in a dynamic international research team
- Access to state-of-the-art simulation programs and experimental instrumentation
- Employee benefits (i.e. catering allowance, language courses, institutional childcare)
- Low cost of living in tolerant, progressive and secure country with rich cultural and natural heritage
- Work in the heart of Europe with convenient transport connections to the whole world
We are looking for
- Highly motivated PhD candidate with excellent research experience
- Master degree in chemical or colloidal engineering, colloidal science or polymer chemistry
- Proven hands-on knowledge of colloidal stability characterization (i.e., light scattering, zeta potential measurement, rheology of suspensions)
- Knowledge of modelling approaches for aggregation processes
- Knowledge of Fortran, Matlab, Python, C++ or similar. Knowledge of CFD would be an asset
- Pro-active, flexible and responsible colleague with a collaborative mindset
- Excellent command of English (level B2 or higher)
- Organizational, communication and presentation skills
- Starting date January 2023 or earlier
How to apply
Please send your CV (including a list of publications and contact details for at least two references), brief motivation letter and transcripts of marks via email to email@example.com.
Applications are accepted until the position is filled. Selected candidates will be invited for an online interview where further details regarding the position and the research project will be discussed.
About UCT Prague
The University of Chemistry and Technology Prague (UCT Prague) is one of the largest Central European educational and research centers performing cutting-edge research focused on chemistry, chemical and biochemical technologies, material and chemical engineering, food science, environmental studies and related disciplines. UCT Prague collaborates with more than 100 academic institutions worldwide, is active in industrial R&D and technology transfer.
Some of UCT Prague programs are unique to the Czech Republic and essential to the country’s future. UCT ranked as the 3rd best Czech university in the Nature Index 2020 Rankings and 2nd in the QS World University Rankings 2021 and 2022. The small student-to-academic instructor ratio, allowing for individual support and inherent involvement of students in the research process, earned UCT 26th place in the world and 1st in Czechia in this aspect of rankings.