The University of Chemistry and Technology Prague (UCT) seeks to appoint a highly motivated and internationally recognized expert in drug discovery and development for a prestigious position: Chair in Medicinal Chemistry. The candidate will be expected to establish an excellent research group at UCT and to initiate novel national and international projects. As a faculty member, the candidate is further expected to participate in teaching activities, including the supervision of students. The Chair in Medicinal Chemistry position was established in collaboration with the Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry of the Czech Academy of Sciences (IOCB Prague).
IOCB is traditionally active and successful in chemical research and practical applications, particularly in medicinal chemistry. IOCB’s most significant contributions to pharmaceutical development to date were the acyclic nucleotide phosphonate antivirals discovered by Prof. Antonín Holý and colleagues.
The candidate brings:
- A competitive and cutting-edge research program in drug discovery and development.
- An outstanding research record as reflected by international peer-reviewed publications in top journals.
- Experience in leading a research group.
- The potential to successfully secure external funding through European and other international and national agency grants.
- Strong academic experience with the ambition to grow professionally (teaching experience and doctoral/PhD degree with the aim of pursuing habilitation/professorship).
The university offers:
- Starting package for establishing a research group.
- Equipped laboratory space.
- Logistical and administrative support for procuring external funding.
- Competitive group leader salary.
- Assistance and support for families with children.
- Support and help with relocation.
The initial appointment will be for five years with the perspective of continuing at UCT as a group leader and faculty member after successful habilitation (associate professorship)
Contact person: prof. Radek Cibulka/Head of the Department of organic Chemistry/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be submitted no later than in December 2020.
Interviews to be conducted in January/February 2021.
Expected start: July 2021- January 2022.
- Motivation letter.
- CV with publication list.
- Short summary of previous research activities (max. 3 pages).
- Research proposal for the initial five-year period at UCT (max. 5 pages).
The University of Chemistry and Technology Prague (UCT, https://www.vscht.cz) is one of the largest Central European educational and research centers performing cutting-edge research focused on chemistry, chemical and biochemical technologies, material and chemical engineering, food science, environmental studies, and related disciplines. Remarkably, of the more than 4,000 students at UCT, ca. 750 are enrolled in doctoral programs. Some of UCT’s programs are unique to the Czech Republic and are essential to the country’s future. UCT collaborates with more than 100 academic institutions worldwide. According to the QS World University Rankings 2021, UCT Prague ranked second among Czech universities and improved globally by 13 places from the previous year, achieving a rank of 342. According to the Nature Index 2020 rankings, UCT is the third best Czech university (177th in Europe).