Workplace: Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 1-year contract (with the possibility of securing permanent position), academic
Working Hours: 1 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: negotiable (with respect to immigration timelines for non-EU candidates)
Number of Open Positions: 1
Pay: competitive salary (partly negotiable)
EU Researcher Profile: R2
Application Deadline: 20. 9. 2021
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research in the areas: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Department of Chemistry is one of the major departments of the Faculty of Science. It provides education and competitive research in all main areas of chemistry – analytical, inorganic, physical, and organic chemistry – as well as in material chemistry, biophysical chemistry and chemistry of restoration and conservation. The study programs cover practically all levels of higher education, from bachelor to the doctoral degrees.
- Teaching and mentoring students.
- Research in the field of biophysical chemistry or closely related fields.
Skills and Qualifications
- PhD Degree in physical chemistry, biophysics, biomolecular chemistry, chemical biology, or another field closely related to biophysical chemistry.
- Prior international experience: doctoral studies and/or long-term postdoctoral stay abroad at well-recognized institutions.
- Strong publication record.
- Demonstrated ability to carry out independent research in the field of biophysical chemistry and history of successful grant applications.
- Teaching and mentoring: several years of experience in teaching and supervision of students in areas related to biophysical chemistry. Teaching in English is anticipated, the ability to teach also in Czech will be considered as a significant advantage during the selection process.
- Good command of spoken and written English.
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to the head of the department, email: email@example.com, phone +420549491472.
- Opportunity to establish an independent research group in the field of biophysical chemistry or closely related disciplines.
- Adequate laboratory and office space in modern university campus with flexible access to departmental and core facility instrumentation.
- Possibility to establish and develop interdisciplinary research collaborations with the campus-based chemistry and biology groups.
- The position will be supported through a start-up budget (subject to negotiations).
- Tenure track-like scheme to secure a permanent position.
- Attractive job in academia.
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Employee benefits such as 8 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, contribution to lunches in canteens of MU, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, discounted language courses, university cinema discount, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare group-Campus
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- International Staff Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
The application shall be submitted online by 20. 9. 2021 via an e-application here.
The candidate shall provide following:
- Cover letter describing candidate’s research interest and experience
- Summary of research outputs and publications
- Names and contact details of at least 2 references
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers.
Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!