Workplace: Department of Geography, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 1-year contract (with possible extension), academic
Working Hours: 1 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: 1.2.2023 or negotiable with respect to immigration timelines for non EU candidates
Number of Open Positions: 1
EU Researcher Profile: R2
Application Deadline: 10.12.2022
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is modern, dynamic and the most attractive university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 6000 staff and 30 000 students, a wide range of research areas and a strong international position. We are the largest academic employer in the South Moravian Region.
Faculty of Science MU, a holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
The Department of Geography at the Faculty of Science of MU is the second largest geography department in the Czech Republic. The department conducts multidisciplinary scientific research and teaching activities in the interrelated fields of human geography, physical geography, geoinformatics and geographic cartography. The staff of the Institute of Geography is involved in a number of research projects and grants programmes, as well as a wide range of application projects.
- Teaching and mentoring students in Czech and English in advanced lectures focused on remote sensing
- Research activities in UAV and satellite Earth Observation and the development of downstream systems and services for the benefit of the environment and society
Skills and Qualifications
- Ph.D. degree in a relevant field such as Remote Sensing / Earth Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Geography / GIS
- Publication activity appropriate to the teaching and research position and length of professional experience
- A good understanding of optical and SAR remote sensing principles
- Proven skills in scientific and technical writing, problem solving and independent working
- Good command of both the Czech and the English languages (written and verbal)
- Experience in carrying out research or application projects
- Ability to participate in activities related to the daily running of the department
The applicant should have:
- Scientific coding skills, preferably in Python, R and strong skills handling numerical datasets
- Satellite image processing skills, for example, using gdal, SNAP, Google Earth Engine, ENVI
- Experience of machine learning, especially for image analysis
- GIS and data visualisation experience (QGIS, ArcGIS Pro etc.)
- Proven track and active knowledge of working with UAVs – planning and implementation of data collection, data processing and evaluation, and presentation of results in selected application areas
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to prof. RNDr. Petr Kubíček, CSc., email email@example.com, phone +420549491491.
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Opportunity to participate in the activities of an established research group on environmental geoinformatics. We offer the chance to establish your own research group in cooperation with the Czech Globe Institute
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Employee benefits such as 8weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, a financial meal allowance, lunches in canteens of MU, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, discounted language courses, university cinema discount, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare groups (Campus and city centre)
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city
The application shall be submitted online by 10 December 2022 via an e-application, please find the reference to the e-application here: https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/vacancies/75143
The candidate shall provide following:
- Cover letter describing candidate’s research priorities
- Summary of research outputs and publications
- Names and contact details of at least 2 references
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!