Centre for Polar Ecology (CPE) at the Faculty of Sciences, University of South Bohemia seeks to appoint a junior-level scientist as a research Group Leader of a new research group focused on biology/environmental science.
You will be expected to collaborate with other scientists at the CPE and we would also support you, should you want to start your own research group that would fit within the research interests of the CPE. CPE aims promotes and facilitate research and education in polar ecological sciences at the Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice. The main goal of CPE is multi-disciplinary research focused on Arctic microbiology, ecology, zoology and botany. More information at: https://www.prf.jcu.cz/en/cpe.html
Ideal candidate should therefore employ multi-disciplinary approach with potential to bridge environmental and biological sciences in CPE and create cohesions between these two branches.
We offer all year-round access and support to the Czech Arctic research station on Svalbard. The Arctic infrastructure consists of a year-round research station in Longyearbyen, field station in Petuniabukta and a research motor-sail vessel operational all-around Svalbard.
You will be partly supported by the faculty budget but also expected to seek for your own funding to support your research and research staff applying to national and as well to European founding agencies.
What would be your main responsibilities
- Lead own independent polar research
- Seek funding for research in collaboration with other CPE scientists
- Participate on teaching activities
- Participate on seminars and other departmental activities
The start-up package includes
- 3-year position with the possibility of extension.
- excellent instruments equipment and multiple research platforms within CEP and Faculty of Sciences, University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice
- access to the Czech Arctic research station on Svalbard
- competitive salary
- English speaking, stimulating & friendly international research environment,
- HR Award certificate, www.jcu.cz/about-the-university/development/hr-award-hrs4r
- professional administration support and help with all personal, economic, legal, project, IT, intellectual property needs,
- flexible working time, 5 weeks of vacation,
- meal allowance, special mobile services, university kindergarten,
- work-life balance in a historical middle-sized university city, www.budejce.cz/en/.
Competitive candidates are expected to
- PhD in biology or environmental science
- 3 years hands-on experiences in basic research
- Direct experience with Arctic or polar/alpine research
- Strong desire to establish your own research group
- Interest in long-term field research using Czech Arctic research station facilities on Svalbard
- Independent research work evidenced by publications
- Demonstrated project management experience and leadership skills
- Data reading, analysis and presentation
- Budgetary and general administrative skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate within a team-based environment
Please submit your CV, motivation letter and a 2-page research proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16th May 2021.
For further question, please, contact Marie Šabacká, the Deputy Head of the Centre for Polar Ecology at email@example.com